?? for the ladies...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

?? for the ladies...

ok, so i'm 27, hubby is going to boot camp in jan 07. we have a little boy who will be 2 in may. i'm seriously considering joining the corps, but waiting until i'm 29 and my son will be older. the question is, are any of you moms, and how did u make it 3 months without seeing your kids? that's the only thing thats holding me back...

<3,
    jen

I wanted to say OORAH to you for what you're planning on doing. I know of a few Marines that went off to boot camp and left their kids behind for a while, and they said that it was horrible. In the long run thou, you will become someone special and will provide better for your son. THe fact that your boy will have both of his parents in the Corps is outstanding. When it's all said and done you will look back and say that what you did was great, and now you'll have a hell of a life for you and your family. Three months seems like a small price to pay, but I don't have any kids, that's just what I gather from other Marines that were at the same place you are at right now. Sorry I couldn't be a big help. Someone else will give you their two cents later on thoug. Later!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    honey if you can't get past three months without him, what do you think will happen if you get sent overseas on an unaccompanied tour - which means you stay in the barracks with everybody else and you can't take kid or hubby with you? Please! Do the Corps AND yourself a favor and DON'T join.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jenjen
    ok, so i'm 27, hubby is going to boot camp in jan 07. we have a little boy who will be 2 in may. i'm seriously considering joining the corps, but waiting until i'm 29 and my son will be older. the question is, are any of you moms, and how did u make it 3 months without seeing your kids? that's the only thing thats holding me back...

<3,
    jen
    The age limit is 17 to 28. There are waivers, but they are tough to get. If being a Marine is something that you want to do, then you will need to ship to boot camp prior to your 29th birthday. You are already going to need a waiver for being married to another active duty Marine and for having two dependents.
    As far as being aways from your son - obviously, it would be tough, but nothing that you can't do - Marines do it every day. Anytime things get tough, just remember how you and your family will benefit in the end. Stay strong and stay motivated.
    Good luck to you and your family!

Credits
    Savings
    We had two 29 year olds in our platoon, we also had a few recruits with kids of there own. I'm not going to tell you whether or not to join, if you really want to be a Marine, go for it, don't let having kids hold you back. The question is, are you willing to be away from them for long periods of time? About deployment, many female Marines have kids, you wouldn't be alone. Your decision.

26, two kids, married to Marine

That is me and I ship to Parris Island in June.
    My children are 7 and 3 and being away from them will be hard, but it is something I am willing to do.
    Don't let fear keep you from this if you really want.
    If you have not already talked to a recruiter, you may want to soon.
    I was told that having children with one Active Duty Spouse was a disqualifier. Only after I demonstrated that my husband is medically separated was I processed.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Hey worsham, long time no see. Glad to hear everything worked out, you finally got a ship date. Let me know if you have any questions about boot camp or anything, I'll see if I can prepare you as much as possible.

nope nope nope A womens place is in the home taking care of the house and the babies, make sure everything is taken care of while the Man of the house is out workin.. bringin that paycheck in.. I am beginning to wonder if some of the Married women that do this is trying to get out of their job of taking care of the kids...

Credits
    Savings
    Images

hrscowboy

you are in big trouble now...!!!

hrscowboy

I knew you would get in here and state your opinion..

You have never let me down...

Ellie

Aww shucks Miss Ellie thats the way i was raised my mother was never allowed in the pastures workin horses or cattle my dad always said the womans place was in the home taking care of the house in other words she ran the show except when it came to outside work. She made sure everything worked well like a fine oiled machine.

Cappucine
    Guest Free Member
    April 07, 2006

My mother a US Marine Mom while raising us when we were little lived by example. That meant she lived her life by example showing us how to live ours I can say that I was very impressed with her determination, her back bone being strong and standing up for what she believed in and she will always be my No 1 Hero. She worked two jobs while raising two children but she always made sure that her children were safe with whomever she left them with. It was tough for her because she did not have any help from anybody she sank or swam and boy can she swim. She managed to never accept anything from the government ever she had to much pride and no matter what she was not going to go on the welfare system she would rather die I think. My mother worked her finger to the bone, busted her chops, almost broke her back trying to make it as a single American Woman in the early 70's with two children to support but she always managed to put food on the table and gave us the best loving care (tough love) a mother could give with out showing us to much emotion. She is tough, determined to make it, a survivor, has principals enough to stand up for what she believed in even if you were three times bigger than her. My mother she is the best I learned a lot from her and I very proud to have a mother like her not scared of anybody or anything and the strongest will to live I have ever seen. She always looked out for the children first. Fed the children before she sat down to eat. Made sure ever corner was turned, every spot of dirt was picked up from the floor, you know the white glove pass with honors. My mother stood up for what she believed in and I like the Marines because they also stand up for what they believe in more than anything in the whole wide world that shows dedication, honesty, discipline, faithfulness to ones country and duty, a commitment that someone is going to keep and not lie to you, and forget about that commitment. There is a lot that I admire about my mother for going out and busting her chops to provide for her family. Well that is all I have to say right now. Nice stories.

Sincerely,

Cappucine

Marine Spouse Free Member Tabby's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    In our platoon, we had a woman that was 23 and she had a hard time keeping up- she was in shape too. She transferred from the Army.

I'm a medical discharge, but if I want to go back, I can. However, now that I have a family, I won't. My husband is AD and we have a little girl. In my opinion, it's hard enough for a child to have one AD parent, let alone two. There's no guarantee that you won't both be deployed simultaneously.

If being a Marine is your dream, then who am I or anyone else to stand in your way. Just take into consideration that it's no cake walk for the young recruits and in a way you'll have to work harder than any of the others to prove yourself.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

thanks for all of your responses! i guess i have a lot to think about, as far as how hard it is on kids having 2 AD parents....i know i can hang with the "kiddies" physically...been training for quite a while, so the physical part is the least of my worries....i know that i may get deployed, or an unaccompanied tour....even though recruiters say it's "highly unlikely" for 2 AD spouses to get separeted (is that true??) anyhow, just wanted to thank you all for your input

ok, now lemme get my barefoot self back to the kitchen where i belong
    lmao

When I went to boot camp I was single. Later on I met my husband who was also on active duty. We ended up having a daughter. Yes we were together most of the time. However there are no guarentes. There were several months we were not. When that happens one of you have to take the children. So in a way it is like being a single mom on active duty. What I am trying to tell you is NO it isn't easy, nothing worth having ever is. If you want it go for it. I have always been the kind of person who wants my cake and eat it too. Most of the time it works for me, if for no other reason than shear determination to make it happen. Only you can decide what is best for you and your children. But also keep in mind it is hard on the kids also. Having added my 2 cents worth, I will now take my barefoot self back to the kitchen lol.

Thread Information